The Alternative Break program at the USC Volunteer Center cultivates a unique opportunity for students, staff and faculty to engage in service learning and volunteerism in communities outside of the Los Angeles area. It is our belief, and studies have shown, that trips such as these help participants make tangible connections between what they learn in the classroom and what they will encounter once they have jobs and experiences outside the university setting. In addition, these trips have allowed the Volunteer Center to create valuable, long-lasting relationships in the communities in which we work.
Here in the Volunteer Center, we house fifteen Alternative Break programs that delve into some of the most pressing issues facing our generation today. Topics include:
- Children's Issues
- Cultural Erosion in Native Populations
- Environmental Conservation
- Healthcare Accessibility and Reform
- Homelesss and Poverty
- Impacts of Eco-tourism
- Justice System Reform and At-Risk-Youth
- Micro Finance/Social Entrepreneurship
- Women's Empowerment
- Youth & Education
Our ABs travel domestically as well as internationally and generally cost between $450 and $3,100. Click on the hyperlinks, or use the left navigation bar, to find out more about each of the 2014-2015 Alternative Break programs!
There are also several other service learning trips that are organized by USC academic departments and student organizations during the Winter, Spring, and Summer breaks. Please contact those departments and organizations directly for more information about the programs that they offer.
Click here for the Alternative Breaks Application!
Want more information about the Alternative Breaks offered this year? Attend one of our info sessions all located in our office at TCC 410!
- Monday, September. 8th, 1-2pm
- Wednesday, September 10th, 2-3pm
-Friday, September 12th, 2-3pm
- Monday, September 15th, 1-2pm
- Wednesday, September 17th, 5-6pm
- Friday, September 19th, 2-3pm
- Monday, September 22nd, 1-2pm
- Wednesday, September 24th, 5-6pm
- (NOTICE TIME CHANGE) Friday, October 3rd, 2-3pm
- Monday, October 6th, 1-2pm