- After graduation, in order to maintain proper F-1 status, the U.S. government requires international students to update:
- Any changes in your current LIVING address within 10 days of moving. Address updates should be reported here: Update my current address
- Any OPT employment. Employment updates should be reported here: Update my employer information
Please note, updating your current living address has no connection to the EAD card mailing address. If you need to update the card mailing address, CONTACT OIS directly instead of the USCIS National Service Center. To avoid any problems, OIS strongly recommends you always file for OPT with a requested EAD card mailing address that will remain the same for at least 4-5 months.
- While on OPT you are not authorized to take classes toward a new degree. A hold (STU59) will be on your USC account while you are on OPT. This hold ONLY affects your ability to register for classes. You can still obtain transcripts, etc.
- You may take classes that are avocational or recreational in nature but will need to meet with an OIS advisor for authorization.
- If you begin a new degree program, your OPT and EAD card expires on:
a) The date of a SEVIS transfer from USC to a new school
b) The start date of a new degree program at USC
c) The date your transition to another visa classification is approved (e.g. J-1 or H-1B)
5. If you are transferring to a new school or moving to a higher degree at USC, you will need to meet with an OIS advisor regarding SEVIS procedures. Please make an appointment with OIS and be ready to submit the Transfer Form and any transfer request forms from your new school. Transfers require 6 business days for processing.