The USC Office of Residential Education’s Rainbow Floor (est. 2001) is a special interest residential community that provides support, education and advocacy opportunities for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and ally (LGBTQA) students. It is a residential community in which students develop leadership skills and make long-lasting friendships. The Rainbow Floor collaborates with academic departments, other campus residential communities, as well as the LGBT Resource Center and the Office of Residential Education to sponsor campus-wide and community-based events.
The Rainbow Floor is the only USC Housing with a gender inclusive option. Undergraduate and Graduate students can apply, even first year students; the floor is located in Century Apartments 2.
Areas of Development
- Psychological and emotional support,
- Sexual and gender identity,
- Knowledge of LGBT historical and contemporary movements, and
- Awareness of the local and global LGBT issues.
What will you learn
- Participants will be able to illustrate the diverse sexual and gender identity experiences for LGBT students.
- Participants will be able to summarize the beginning of the gay rights movement in Los Angeles.
- Participants will be able to recall a current local challenge for the LGBT community.
To apply, students must complete a supplemental application and email to the LGBT Resource Center Director at email@example.com. After confirmation from the Director, students selected to live on the floor will approve the floor on the USC Housing Online Portal. Applications for the floor are taken throughout the academic school year and selection is based on the application and availability on the floor.
For more information about the Rainbow Floor, please contact the floor Resident Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check out the Rainbow Floor Youtube channel!
Photo by DJ Kast
Rainbow Floor Resident Advisor Application (February 28, 2011)