Some Facts About Suicide:
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth are up to four times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers (Massachusetts 2006 Youth Risk Survey).
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning youth who come from a rejecting family are up to nine times more likely to attempt suicide than their heterosexual peers (2007 San Francisco State University Chavez Center Institute).
- A tendency toward isolation and social withdrawal
- Substance abuse
- Expression of negative attitudes toward self
- Expression of hopelessness or helplessness
- Loss of interest in usual activities
- Giving away valued possessions
- Expression of a lack of future orientation (i.e. "It won't matter soon anyway").
- For someone who has been very depressed, when that depression begins to lift, the individual may be at increased risk of suicide, as the individual will have the psychological energy to follow-through on suicidal ideation.
Feel free to download the LGBT Resource Center's Suicide Prevention Information Handout.