Need someone to talk to?
The APA PEER program is a collaborative project between APASS and the USC Student Counseling Services. Since 1994, PEER matches continuing APA students with first-year students (freshmen and transfers) in a unique mentoring relationship focused on transition, success, and growth.
The PEER Community meets monthly for skill-building workshops, networking, and community-building.
- First-year Asian Pacific American students seeking guidance and personalized support
- In need of help through the transition to life on campus including, but not limited to, homesickness, roommate issues, relationships, parents, and academic/career plans
- Dedication to program and commitment to mentor
- Continuing APA students with well-rounded USC experience or knowledge
- Positive disposition towards counseling
- Significantly developed sense of self (ethnic, gender, and sexuality, etc.)
- High levels of follow-through and dedication to program and mentees
- Mentors are recruited and trained in early Fall
- Mentees are recruited starting late-September through the Spring semester
- Complete a Mentor application here: [pdf]
- Complete a Mentee application here: [pdf]
- Fill out the mentor or mentee application online! (PEER Online)
Mentee: "My mentor is an ideal mentor for any freshman trying to adjust to the college lifestyle. Not only does she offer advice with classes, scheduling, and all that other college stuff, but she goes beyond that and really tries to know me as a person. I have truly valued our relationship in that we can get beyond just surface school information and really get to know each other's life."
Mentee: "Having a PEER mentor reaffirmed that there are people out there who are willing to listen and support you despite you being away from home and in a new environment."
Mentor: "We encouraged each other during hard times and we also shared joys and happiness. I’m amazed by how much I can help a person and how rewarding the experience has been. I have a strong relationship with my mentee, and my goal is to be a life-long mentor to her." – Mentor, 2011Questions? Contact the PEER Coordinator at email@example.com.