There are two options for taking the placement tests:
- The online option is for students who want to test into a foreign language.
- If you wish to test out of the language requirement, then a paper and pencil test is required.
- The traditional paper-and-pencil (P&P) tests are for students taking math, chemistry or foreign language placement tests and want to place into a certain section.
entering USC for the first time should be referred to www.usc.edu/orientation
for complete details regarding online placement tests.
Some important information about online tests:
- Students can take the math test and four foreign language tests (French, German, Russian and Spanish) online.
- The four remaining language tests (Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Latin) must be taken P&P on one of the Center for Testing and Assessmentís scheduled test dates.
- Students may take any number of the four foreign language online tests, but no test in the same language may be repeated online.
- Math and foreign language tests may not be repeated online.
- However, all online tests may be repeated during Welcome Week in August on one of the two P&P dates scheduled during that week.
- The online foreign language tests place students in levels one, two and three. Those wanting to place above level three will need to take the P&P test in that language on one of the Center for Testing and Assessmentís scheduled dates.
- Students will be able to access their online test scores at the Orientation website.
- The placement results from both the online tests and the P&P tests will still be downloaded to SIS and are accessible to advisers.
- Students with disabilities must contact Disability Services and Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements for testing prior to the scheduled test dates.
students, the following applies:
- Until further notice, online testing is only available to incoming students.
- A USC ID is required to take P&P tests.
- Test dates, times, locations and descriptions can be found here.
- A 60-minute math test and eight, 90-minute foreign language tests will be administered P&P on those dates.
- Students must wait one semester before retaking math tests and six months before retaking foreign language tests.
- Hard copies of the results are issued through the Center for Testing and Assessment, no results over the phone. The results are still accessible to advisers, language and science departments.
- There are no fees for the placement tests.
- Results from the placement tests must be picked up in person at our office in STU 301.
- A picture ID is required. No results are given over the phone.
- Please arrive 10 minutes before the start of the test.
- The test administrations can take up to 2 hours, so plan accordingly.
- If you need testing accommodations, please contact Disability Services and Programs at least one week before the test date.
- For further information about the tests, please contact the Center for Testing and Assessment at (213) 740-7116 or email@example.com.