USC SPIRIT GROUPS
USC Song Girls | USC Spirit Leaders | Traveler
ABOUT USC SPIRIT GROUPS
The various USC Spirit Groups symbolize USC's proud tradition of school spirit and athletic excellence. The men and women of the Song Girls and Spirit Leaders are energetic, athletic, and enthusiastic students who proudly represent the University of Southern California.
SONG GIRLS AND SPIRIT LEADERS AUDITIONS
Auditions for the USC Song Girls and USC Spirit Leaders for the 2014 Season have been completed. Audtions for the 2015 season will be held in late fall 2014. Fight On!
Song Girls Audition Information:
The process begins with a clinic at which applicants must learn TWO ROUTINES. The first routine is a pom routine to "Fight On!," the USC fight song. The second is a technical jazz routine. The applicants must then submit to an interview. At final tryouts, each finalist must present two of their own original routines.
Approximately twelve girls will be chosen and begin practicing immediately for basketball season in January.
You may wear a skirt, black jazz pants, or shorts along with a fitted tank top. Please present yourself in a similar style (hair, make-up, etc.) as the USC Song Girls appear on game day.
Typical Audition Schedule (Subject to Change):
• Brief dance warm up
• Technical combination to perform across the floor
• Jazz Combination
• Routine to part of the USC Fight Song
• Short sideline cheer
Candidates shall be permitted to try out if they meet the following qualifications:
1) Shall be a student who has attempted and completed a minimum of twelve (12) units at USC by the end of the Fall Semester in which they are trying out. Spring admits are also welcome to try out.
2) Shall carry and complete an academic workload of at least 12 units each semester thereafter, if selected as a squad member.
Being a USC Song Girl is a great opportunity privilege, and honor. Candidates should be informed that being a USC Song Girl takes a lot of time, energy, and dedication. Next to academics, it will take priority over such things as sorority functions, social activities, work, etc. Practices are held every week, and you are required to attend events over school holidays and breaks. Being a Song Girl is a unique and memorable experience,but requires time, patience, and dedication.
If you have additional questions regarding Song Girl Tryouts, please e-mail Lori Nelson (Coach) at email@example.com.
Spirit Leader Tryout Information:
Spirit Leader tryouts take place in the middle of the fall semester and each Spirit Leader team runs on a calendar year. The next application will become available in October 2014.
Becoming a Spirit Leader can be one of the most memorable and engaging experiences you will ever have at USC. However, this position requires time, energy, and dedication. Next to academics, it will take priority over all other events including, fraternity/sorority events, social activities, work, and other related activities. You will be required to attend Spirit Leader functions during weekends, holiday breaks, and over the summer.
As a basic requirement, Spirit Leaders must be able to recite, teach and/or lead the Fight Song, So-Cal Spell Out and Alma Mater on command, at any time. Spirit Leaders cannot be shy and must have strong, confident voices and engaging personalities. It should also be noted that Spirit Leaders do not perform stunts. Their primary responsibility is to lead cheers and yells by engaging the crowd.
For questions regarding Spirit Leader tryouts, please contact Associate Head Coach, Shana Schwartz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that, if selected as a Spirit Leader, you will be required to:
- be available for practice during the Spring and Fall semesters 2 hours per week
- attend an average of 2-3 athletic or University events per week during the Spring and Fall Semesters
- attend two events over the summer break
- attend a retreat one week prior to start of fall classes
- carry and complete an academic workload of at least twelve units
- be a student in good academic standing (min. overall GPA of 2.5)
- attend a new Spirit Leader orientation meeting in early December
Should you have any questions, please feel free to email us directly at email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org, and email@example.com.